Tuesday, March 29, 2011

the act of naming it

A breath of fresh air... "one thousand gifts" by Ann Voskamp. It is so hard to live in an attitude of gratitude, but it is so true that the very act of naming that thing for which you are thankful gives life to it...makes it legit...it takes flight and gives rise to more.  I have found it hard of late to remain in a state of thankfulness. If I were honest, I should confess that it has always been hard to remain in a state of thankfulness, I just didn't realize it until recently.  Why is it so hard to be satisfied by the morsels I'm given?  Well, for starters I often don't see the morsels as a gift.... I see what is being withheld instead of what is being given. But again, that "edenic" naming of the gift helps it take root in my heart.  "It is God's will that you be thankful and joyful in all circumstances." 1 Thess 5:16-18  In that moment when i am not joyful, not thankful, do I believe that God has given me everything that I need? No. No I do not believe it. and therein lies my problem.  How can I fail to believe God is good?  It's because in that moment I am not looking at the scope of things but instead I am looking at one dot on the page...I am looking at myself instead of the giver...i am forgetting that I was not created for comfort... a breath of fresh air... I'll say again, I was not created for comfort!

No comments:

Post a Comment