Sunday, April 10, 2011

Simmering Sunday

What's cooking up in the kitchen today?
            Friends had a baby and thus I am making meals.... I don't cook meat usually since I switched to a vegetarian diet this past year....but my hubby still loves meat as do my friends....thus today we are cooking up some southern cuisine: Barbecue chicken, coleslaw, fresh diced strawberries and brownies.  I also cooked up a veggie pot pie for tomorrow.  The kids and I are having a Green Curry Thai soup with bread while Papa enjoys his southern cuisine.

Veggie Pie Recipe:
Made from scratch pie crusts
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup diced celery
1/3 cup butter alternative
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced mushrooms
1/2 cup corn
2 cloves of garlic pressed
1/3  cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1 3/4 cups veggie broth or water
2/3 cup milk (regular, soy, or rice)

Saute mushrooms, garlic and onions in butter then mix in with all other ingredients simmering on a pot.  boil for about 10-15 minutes until veggies tender and sauce thickened.  Pour into pre-baked crust then top with second crust.  Cut a few holes in the crust and bake
Bake at 425 F (220 C) for 30 minutes or until crust is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment